Enroll Now for the 2017 Review Programs!

     Call us at +63 (02) 231-3177
Tap To Call

10 Things About Psychology Act of 2009

Top 10 Must Know About Philippine Psychology Act of 2009

1. The Law is effective now!

And not just now but since June 2, 2010, RA 10029 is already a working and enforceable law that affects the whole psychology field in the Philippines. The Philippine Psychology Act of 2009 was a consolidation of two bills namely Senate Bill No. 3498 and House Bill No. 6512 and the Act was approved on March 16, 2010. So you might ask, what’s the big deal? Well, the provisions of the law is already effective such that everyone who performs psychological services should be licensed. No one can call themselves psychologist or psychometrician without being registered and having the license. But don’t worry, the Psychology Regulatory Board (PRB) gives a leeway period of 3 years for qualified professionals to register without taking the exams. For those who can’t qualify for the grandfather’s clause, they need to take the board exam.

2. What do you mean by Psychological Services?

Every professional has their own scope of practice. For the psychology field in the Philippines it is called under the umbrella term of “psychological services”. To make it simple, psychological services includes psychological interventions, assessment, evaluation, and psychological programs. There are a lot of functions that can be categorized under these services and you should consult the latest Implementing Rules and Regulation of the RA 10029 to see whether your job description falls under one of these psychological services.

Take note that teaching psychology subjects and doing research is not covered by the Law. But another law (i.e. RA 8981) specifically requires professors and lecturers of subjects covered by the board examination to be licensed professionals. So for example, professors of experimental psychology and social psychology do not need a license but those teaching theories of personality, abnormal psychology, industrial psychology, and psychological assessment may be required to get their license to qualify to teach the subjects.

The following listed in Section 3b of IRR are under psychological services. You need to have a license if your job description falls under one of these:

  • Psychological counseling
  • Psychological consultation
  • Psychotherapy
  • Psychosocial support
  • Life coaching
  • Psychological debriefing
  • Group processes
  • Psychological assessment, testing, evaluation
  • Development, standardization, and publication of psychological tests which measures adjustment and psychopathology
  • Creation of assessment tools primarily for psycho-diagnostic purposes
  • Use of individual tests, projective tests, clinical interviews, and other psychological assessment tools
  • Assessing psychological functions such as
    • cognitive abilities
    • aptitudes
    • personality characteristics
    • attitudes
    • values
    • interests
    • emotions and motivations
  • Making diagnostic interpretations, reports, and recommendations as part of:
    • case study
    • diagnostic screening
    • placement
    • management decisions
    • psychiatric evaluation
    • legal action
    • psychological counseling
    • psychotherapy or change intervention
  • Development, planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of:
    • psychological treatment programs
    • play therapy
    • expressive arts therapy
    • music therapy
    • trauma healing
    • addiction rehabilitation and treatment programs
    • behavioral management and intervention in correctional facilities
    • psychological training programs which involves inner processing
    • mental health programs in disaster and emergency situations

3. Two Professionals, One Law

Yes that’s right. The Law covers two professionals who performs two related psychological services. Those who administer and interpret personality tests, interpret results, prepare reports and clinical interviews are called Psychometricians while those who are allowed to perform the whole range of psychological services are called Psychologists. In simplest terms, psychometricians can only do psychological assessment (except projective and higher level tests) and psychologist can do all psychological services including the functions of the psychometricians.

In addition to this, the psychometrician should be at all times supervised by a psychologist. Also, all assessment report done by the psychometrician should bear the signature of the supervising psychologist. The Law nor the IRR did not specify if a company/institution should hire a psychologist-psychometrician tandem or a company can have the supervising psychologist as an on-call service. But whatever the organizational setup it might be, one thing is clear. These professionals should be licensed before they can perform their psychological services.

4. Check first if you can register without taking the board exam

Save yourself from being a student again and investing time, money, and effort in preparing for the board exam. The Law is friendly to those who are qualified to be licensed without taking the exam. This is commonly termed as the “Grandfather’s clause”. Section 16 and 17 of the IRR specifies the grandfather’s clause criteria for the psychologists and psychometricians.

Generally, you should have the necessary work experience and academic requirements on or before June 2, 2010 before you can be grandfathered. For psychologists, either you have a doctoral degree with 3 years experience OR master’s degree with 5 years experience, OR a bachelor’s degree with 10 years experience. Note that your experience should be titled as “Psychologist” and this should be reflected in your certificate of employment. If your job title is not “psychologist” you are not qualified for grandfather’s clause despite doing psychological services. For psychometricians, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in psychology and minimum of 2 years full-time work experience as a psychometrician. Then again, your job title in the certificate of employment should be “psychometrician” to qualify for the grandfather’s clause for psychometricians.

Remember that you can only register without taking the exam until May 21, 2015. Please refer to the specific documentary requirements that you need to prepare before submitting your application to the PRB.

5. There will be a board exam for aspiring psychologists and psychometricians

In the most altruistic sense, the purpose of the Law is to professionalize the psychology field in the Philippines. It aims to define the scope of practice for the psychology professionals so that we know what makes them unique from the other helping professions. But practically, the Law serves as the basic guideline for regulating these two professionals by means of a state administered board examination. This is the most basic way of ensuring the quality of the professionals who will render psychological services to the public.

If you are not qualified to be grandfathered, you need to consider taking the board exams. There are separate exams for psychologists and psychometricians as well as separate qualifications that needs to be fulfilled. For psychologists, you need to have a masters degree in psychology and 200 hours of supervised practicum reflected in your certificate of practicum. For psychometricians, the only academic requirement is a bachelor’s degree in psychology. No need for practicum for psychometricians. However, both field should have the “psychology” as their primary title in their degree, regardless of the arts or science designation. For example, those who finished Masters in Education major in Psychology are NOT allowed since its primary title is Education.

As early as now you need to prepare for the necessary documentary requirements needed for application. The following were excerpted from the IRR:

  • NSO birth certificate
  • Original and certified true copy of Transcript of Records with your picture. Ask your registrar to give you a TOR for board exam purposes with your picture printed in the TOR. Also, the TOR should have the Special Order number printed. If your school is exempted from issuing SO number, you need to get from your registrar the Certificate of Authentication and Validation from CHED.
  • Original and photocopy of NBI clearance
  • Three (3) notarized certificates of good moral character preferably from your employer, school, church leader, baranggay captain.
  • 2 colored passport size pictures with white background and name tag
  • Cedula (be sure the year is the same from the time you file to PRC)

In addition for aspiring psychologists, you need to submit a certificate of practicum and a certificate of mental health fitness from a psychiatrist or licensed clinical psychologist. Both of these certificates should be notarized.

6. The 4 test subjects

These 4 test subjects are very important because the application process and the board exams relies on these. For psychometricians, the 4 test subjects are Theories of Personality, Abnormal Psychology, Industrial psychology, and Psychological Assessment. For psychologists, there will be no industrial psychology subject. Instead, it will be replaced by psychological counseling and psychotherapy plus advanced subjects of Theories of Personality, Abnormal Psychology, and Psychological Assessment.

Here’s the catch – these subjects should appear in your transcript of records aside from graduating the psychology degree before you can qualify for the board exam. The Commission on Higher Education released a memorandum in 2009 (CMO No. 38) that details the undergraduate curriculum in psychology. If your school already adopted this while you are studying, chances are you will not encounter concerns in your TOR. However, some schools have not fully implemented the CMO 38 and so these schools may have different subject coverage in their psychology programs. Nevertheless, in the last IRR Briefing done in DLSU-CSB, Dr. Villar stated that they may allow subjects that have different names but have the same content with the 4 test subjects. For example, Psychology of Mental Disorders and Psychopathology may be treated as equivalent to Abnormal Psychology in the same way as Clinical Assessment and testing is equivalent to Psychological Assessment.

Another development you should watch out is the possible change of test subjects next year. Dr. Villar stated in the DLSU-CSB IRR briefing that they may file a request in the PRC to remove industrial psychology and replace it with developmental psychology as one of the test subjects in the psychometrician board exam. This is due to the differences in the undergraduate curriculum of different schools/colleges/universities. Specifically, there are schools who only offer industrial psychology as an elective and some of these students may have not taken it even after graduation. For the psychologist board exam, there has no announcement yet if developmental psychology will be added as its 5th subject. We should wait for further announcements and board resolutions regarding this changes.

Lastly, the scope of examination for each of these test subjects will NOT be released by the PRB, at least as of now they planned not to release it. It means that we are left alone to decipher/guess what topics will appear in the board exam questions. However, a consultation with professors and lecturers of different schools was done in Assumption College last February 26, 2013. They discussed the possible topic coverage of the test subjects as well as the national competencies and expectations for the new psychometricians and psychologists. The result of these consultations will hopefully be publicized in the form of board resolution so that everyone will be informed accordingly.

7. The Professional Regulatory Board of Psychology

The Professional Regulatory Board of Psychology, a.k.a “PRB” is the governing body that will oversee and regulate the practice of psychology in the Philippines. They are under the administrative control and supervision of the Professional Regulation Commission which is a government institution. Currently the acting chairman of PRB is Miriam Cue and has 1 member which is Imelda Villar.

Notable to all of the PRC’s regulatory board is their quasi-judicial nature. The PRB therefore has the authority to issue subpoena testificandum and subpoena ducestecum. This ability allows the PRB to hear cases pertaining to the psychology act. They can also revoke licenses, visit institutions to check compliance with the law, coordinate with CHED, and assist in creating guidelines for continuing professional education.

8. Prohibitions

Just like most of the laws, the RA 10029 and its IRR have a list of prohibited acts and penalties to those who break the law. As a rule of thumb, if any one performs one of the psychological services mentioned in the IRR BUT without a license, that person should be prepared to be imprisoned for 6 months to 3 years and/or pay a fine of Php 10,000-100,000. Also, people are not allowed to call themselves psychologist/psychometricians if they are not yet licensed. For corporations and institutions involved in psychological services, they need to secure a permit from PRB before they can legally operate. Lastly, do not fool the PRB because if they discover the truth, you will be punished. And no borrowing of License Card!

9. Code of Ethics

The Law mandates that psychologists and psychometricians need to adopt their own code of ethics. Currently, PAP already has its Code of Ethics for Psychologists which is available in their website. Since PAP will be the accredited professional organization (APO), we expect that the code of ethics from PAP will be used and adopted by the PRB.

10. APO

Every profession under the regulation of PRC has their own Accredited Professional Organization (APO). If PRB serves as the legal and government organization overseeing the professional field, the APO acts to represent the professionals and its associates. They may serve in CPE accreditation, certifications, academic and research functions, among others. The Psychological Association of the Philippines will be the APO for psychology.

55 Responses so far.

  1. liza l. kaniteng says:

    I worked as a guidance counselor for 17 years now. What are the requirements I need to accomplish in order to qualify for the grandfather’s clause? To whom shall I submit? Thanks!

  2. Teresa Amarille says:

    As per consultation meeting with the oic chairman of the psychology board the work experience is not necessarily titled as “psychologist” but performing a psychological services will do will a require number of years, how about that?

    • Sir Jason says:

      Wow that’s nice to hear! At least it will be more welcoming to many of those who are qualified. I hope these updates are being published as a board resolution so everyone can learn about it. Thanks Ma’am Teresa for the info.

  3. Jay says:

    what are the course specs for psychomet and psychologist board exam?

  4. Honesto O. Camino says:

    I had substantial hours of work devoted to outreach activities to inmates of a provincial jail and women and children in home for battered women and children. Will this qualify as psychological services?

    • Sir Jason says:

      The nature of your work should correspond to the psychological services described in the IRR of RA10029. These includes doing psychological testing and assessment, psychotherapy, psychological counseling, psychological evaluation, creation of psychological programs, etc. Can you be more specific about the outreach activity you are doing? Also you need to have the necessary academic requirements in order to be licensed.

  5. Dhes says:

    Hi sir jayson!

    Congratulations for putting up a review class to cater to psychology people in need of help to prepare for the exams. I am very much interested to have my review and take the exams but is at the same time hesitant.

    I am fervently hoping that you can answer some questions i’ve been meaning to ask but found no person who can address it properly.

    First is regarding the 200hrs supervised practicum requirement. I finished my Masters in Psychology back in 2010 but didn’t have practicum for it. I don’t think all graduate schools offering Masters in psychology included practicum in their curriculum. Can work experience be used in lieu of the practicum. Does it disqualify me from being able to take the exams?

    and lastly, is there already a schedule of exams for this year or next year?

    Thank you very much. Hoping to hear from your.

    • Sir Jason says:

      There is already a schedule, for psychologist it will be October 26& 27, 2014 while for psychometricians it will be on October 28 & 29, 2014. As to your case, the IRR of RA10029 specifically states that you need a 200hrs supervised practicum. You may need to go back to your alma mater to discuss this matter so that you may somehow perform your practicum. Anyhow, the board exam is still next year so you can still catch up with the requirements.

  6. CES says:


    Good Day!Im still a bachelor in psych but then im planning to enroll in a masters degree in psych i just want to ask if all field in psych like for example i amn going to take up MA in Industrial Psych,the question is am i going to be qualified to take the board exam for psychologist?Wala po bang required foield in psych na kailangan un ang masters degree mo?tnx and godbless,,..

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello CES, the Law says that you need a masters degree in psychology for you to be qualified in psychologist licensure exams. Regardless of the major (clinical, industrial, educational), as long as it is masters in psychology then its fine. I suggest that you read the whole IRR so that you may learn more about the specific requirements. Here’s the link: http://gg.gg/ra10029-irr

  7. gm says:

    Hi Sir! I want to grab the opportunity on the psychometrician aspect, however, it was stated that it should be a BA/BS Psych graduate. My problem is I’m a BA Social Science graduate. Is there a way to certify that my course is sufficient in lieu of the BS Psych requirement? The worse part is that I’m already an MA degree holder in Psych and it seems not to have any value in this case. (IRONIC)

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello gm, I do understand your concern. This seems to be one of the quirks in the Law that we need to live by. Now I suggest that you proceed on taking the psychologist licensure exam since you already have your MA in Psychology. Also, there is no way that your bs social science diploma will ever be certified under the law. Strictly they require bachelor in psychology as the preparation for psychometricians.

  8. Racqz says:

    What if your job title in the certificate of employment is HR specialist or HR assistant or Recruitment or employment specialist or Guidance Counselor but then you are also performing the job of a psychometrician as from your job description you administer, score and interpret assessment and psychological test and you do some psychological assessment? Are you qualified for the grandfather’s clause for psychometricians. Does it really necessary for the COE’s job title be “Psychometrician”, I believe most companies are not using this as a job tittle in our city.

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello Racqz, your concern is very well discussed in the early briefings of the Law last 2013. From the discussions it seems that the viable solution is for your HR supervisor to issue a COE with your title and then indicate their that you also do psychometric work. It is feasible that your HR may issue something like “HR Specialist/Psychometrician” as your job title to have a workaround on this issue.

  9. jeff says:

    Hi! I don’t have Psychological Assessment as a course(subject). Will Adv.Psychometrics, Adv. Projective Tech. and Statistics for behavioral science suffice/credited instead of the Adv. Psychological Assessment???

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello jeff, first I need to know what’s your undergraduate course? If it’s not psychology then you are not qualified to take the psychometrician board exam. Also your advanced subjects needs to be from a masters in psychology program and not from other social sciences track. Assuming your advanced subjects are from masters in psychology then after graduating that’s the time you can qualify for the psychologist board exam.

      • jeff says:

        Thanks for the response Jayson! I’m a bachelors and master’s degree graduate of Psychology. I’m targeting to take the exams for Psychologist. However, I’m afraid that because I don’t have Adv. Psychological Assessment I may not qualify to take the exams, that is why I’m asking if Adv. Psychometrics, Projective Techniques and Adv. Behavioral statistics can be credited instead. thanks again.

  10. bambie says:

    hi sir!

    when will be the board exam for psychometricians? is cebu ine of the venue? thank you.

  11. Arvella Albay says:

    Hello sir Jason, I am interested to join the review at Spark Review Center. But, may I know if I am qualified to take the board exam for psychologist.. I am a graduate of Master of Arts in Guidance and Counseling (2010) and currently taking up PhD degree in Psychology (36 units now), can i take the board exam as psychologist?

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello Arvella, I assume that you do know about the “Grandfather’s clause” where you can register without taking exams. SADLY, you are not qualified to that since the law requires you to have masters degree in psychology and not in guidance counseling. So your inquiry regarding taking the board exams is valid. However, since your MA is guidance and counseling, still you are not qualified to take the boards.

      BUT DONT LOSE HOPE, since you are now taking your PHD in psychology. Once you graduate then that’s the time you are qualified to take the boards!

  12. marlon says:

    Can a license in clinical psychology be a substitute for a license in guidance counselling?

  13. Pamela says:

    Hi Sir! Thank your for the post, by the way, I’m here to ask about the possible entry jobs for licensed psychometricians (if ever i get to pass this year’s licensure exam). To start with, I am BA Psych grad with 9-month work experience as HR generalist. During my employment i did psychological reports and evaluation, in fact, i have a certification for the said description. I would also like to ask if i could also work as free lancer doing psychological assessment for, let’s say, hospitals, schools, private companies, military and etc… ?

    Thank you very much! Looking forward to hearing from u soon.

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hi Pamela, nice to hear that you are pursuing psychological assessment as one of your career options. First of all please be aware that psychological assessment is regulated by the Psychology Act of 2009 and therefore needs licensed psychometrician or psychologist. You and your institution may run the risk on not conforming with the law. However, once you have the license the opportunities increases. You can demand a higher pay because of your professional status. Also you can post as a freelancer doing psychological testing. I assume that you have legal access to testing materials even as a freelancer. Then you also have the option to partner or work full time in psychological assessment centers like PsychConsult.

      I hope we can hear more from your career adventure. Have a nice day!

  14. ayann says:

    Hi Sir, Kung may licensed na po ba as Psychometrician pwede rin po bang magturo ng subjects ng Psychology kahit wala pong MA Degree?Thanks.

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hello Ayann, CHED memorandum order 38 and 39 requires that the faculty teaching psychology courses should have at least a masters degree in psychology. Also, the PRC Modernization Act suggests that lecturers of board exam subjects should be licensed professionals as well. So to be qualified as a faculty you need to have a masters degree in psychology and preferably with license.

      However, some institutions does not follow this ruling. Two reasons are possible, one is that they may preferentially accept the applicant who haven’t completed requirements on the basis of outstanding merits like high research capabilities. The other reason is that these institutions may just opt not to follow because of financial and strategic reasons.

  15. Alpha says:

    Hi sir!
    Currently, its my 2nd yr.as a “psychomet” in thee institution I am working. I will be graduating this March, MAEd, major in Guidance and Psychology.
    Do I still need to get licensure exam for psychomet?

    Whenever I passed the licensure exam for psychologist, will it made me as an RGC?

    • Sir Jason says:

      Ok let’s discuss your qualifications one by one:

      1. 2nd year as a psychometrician = This suggest that you started working in 2012. The law only grants grandfather’s clause to those who have completed the required work experience on or before 2010. This means that in order to be licensed, the only way is through licensure exam.

      2. Graduating as MA.Ed major in Guidance and Counseling = The law STRICTLY requires MA/MS in Psychology for the psychologist licensure exam. This means that you can not take the psychology board exam. However, I assume your undergraduate is BS/AB Psychology which qualifies you to the psychometrician board exam. Also it looks like that you can not also take the RGC board exam because your masters is in education. The RGC law requires the primary masters program to be in guidance and counseling. Please consult the RGC law here: http://www.pgca.org.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3

      3. Whenever I passed the licensure exam for psychologist, will it made me as an RGC? = The answer is NO. Psychologist and Guidance Counselor are two different professions and have 2 different board exam with 2 different laws governing it. In order to be an RGC, one needs to take the board exam for guidance and counseling.


      For licensing, it looks like the only option for you is to take the psychometrician board exam. But I also suggest that you explore the possibilities of you taking the guidance and counseling licensure exam.

  16. Kenn Silang says:


    I’m decided to take the board exam this coming October 2014. I’m a gradute of BS Psychology last 2007 and Master in Psychology (major in Industrial Psychology) last 2013. Since my major on my graduate studies is Industrial Psych don’t have units on the areas to be tested (Abnormal & Personality). I only have Counseling and Assessment. I’m I qualified to take the Psychologist board exam?

    Or due to my major during my grad studies am only allowed to take the psychometrician board exam?

    Lastly on my Grad Studies TOR specificially states that i took Practicum as one of my subject but doesn’t indicates the # of hours. Do i still need to have a certification that its 200 hours or the TOR is already enough?

    Thank you!

    • Sir Jason says:

      Hi Kenn, if you already finished your Masters degree, then get a certification from your practicum adviser and/or practicum site that you have accumulated a 200 hours supervised practicum. However, the lack of the subjects in Advance Abnormal Psychology and Personality can make you ineligible for the licensure. To this day of writing, the mechanism to solve cases like yours is still not present. We shall see in the future if there will be some mechanisms or workaround regarding your case.

  17. Maye says:

    Kindly enlighten me on this, sir. How does a licensed counselor and psychologist differ in terms of scope of work? From what I’ve read, psychologist can perform counseling, but a counselor cannot administer and interpret projective tests, correct? If I have my license in GC, will I be allowed to assume functions of a psychometrician? Also, is there any other location for the review aside from QC? Say, somewhere near the South area? Thank you!

    • Sir Jason says:

      Good day Maye, you have very interesting questions regarding practice implications of the two professions. Psychologists and Counselors have been around for decades and most of them share almost the same functions. For the Philippine setting, the keyword to remember is that a psychometrician “administers psychological tests except projectives”, a psychologist is someone who can do “psychological services”, while a guidance counselor is someone who do “counseling, psyche testing except projectives, learning and study orientations, and group processes”.

      So now the question is narrowed down to their functions. What’s the difference between “psychological services” and “counseling work”? Aren’t counselors applying psychological concepts, some are even gurus of different psychotherapeutic modalities? Also, aren’t psychologists performing counseling activities when they meet their clients? The list of similarities are numerous and these have been debated by research scholars and practice experts in both fields. To complicate things further, there are people who both hold an RGC and RP licenses!

      Since it is beyond the scope of this comment to lay down all the literatures and theoretical underpinnings of those differences, we may somehow rely on what the Psychology Law and Guidance and Counseling Law is actually telling. According to the IRR of RA10029, psychological services involves “application of psychological principles and procedures for the purpose of describing, predicting, and influencing behavior of individuals and groups, in order to assist in optimal human growth and functioning.” In the previous debriefings of the Psychology Law, the Board of Psychology mentioned about “activities that involved psychological concepts, theories, and frameworks that deals with inner processing of human mind and behavior.” In contrast, counseling work is the “use of an integrated approach to the development of a well-functioning individual primarily by helping him/her to utilize his/her potentials to the fullest and plan his/her present and future in accordance with his/her abilities, interests, and needs.”

      At this point it looks like we can still fit counseling under “psychological services” or the other way around, psychological services under “counseling work”. What is clear at this point are the focus of the two functions. Psychological services focusing on “applying psychological concepts to understand human mind and behavior” while counseling focusing on “synchronizing human potential to their abilities, interests, and needs”.

      I hope these gives us a basic understanding on how to distinguish the two professions. Lastly, to quote a comment that I heard from the previous PAP Convention last 2011, some participants are mentioning that the easiest way to distinguish them, albeit with oversimplification goes this way:

      Psychometricians = Testing
      Counselors = Testing + Counseling work
      Psychologists = Testing + Counseling work + projective tests + “some other things that they want to cover that is not covered by counselors”

      This is an oversimplification and does not capture the essences of those professions. I hope the 2 Laws and the things written here may enlighten you and prevent you from generalizing the professions in an oversimplified way. At the end of the day, all of these calls for a continuous research to answer these practice implications.

  18. Jewel Lianes says:

    what are the qualifications needed for psychologist licensure examination?

  19. Julie ann says:

    Sir Jason seriously I am so confused about the psychology board exams. I currently graduate BS Psych, that’s make me qualified to take board exam for Psychometrician. But I aspire to become a Psychologist so I plan to pursue my studies and have MA. So do I need to take both board exams? board exam for Psychometrician then after i finish my MA, board exam for Psychologist?

    • Sir Jason says:

      It depends on your career plans. You may take both exams or you may also wait for the psychologist board exam. The advantage of taking both will be (1) you can already work as psychometrician even if you are still doing your masters, (2) you get to have the feel of taking the exam, making you confident the next time you take it for the psychologist board exam.

  20. Meg Esteban says:

    Good day!

    I am a registered nurse Sir and i want to take masters of arts in psychology, but the only available here in my place is MA in Industrial Psychology. In connection with this, I just want to ask sir if i graduated in MA in Industrial Psychology, do i have to take the psychologist licensure exam? Thank you

  21. mae says:

    Will an MA in Counseling Psychology qualify me to take the psychologist licensure exam?

  22. Christine says:

    Hello Sir Jason,

    I have a question I have been meaning to ask and no one can seem to give a straight answer.

    Assuming I am already a licensed Guidance Counselor, that means I graduated in M.A. Guidance and Counseling and I am an RGC, but I am also a graduate of M.A. Psychology, am I qualified to take the Board Exam for Psychology?

    Thank you in advance, sir.

    • Sir Jason says:

      Yes, as long as you meet the requirements for the Psychologist Licensure Exam, then you are good to go. For the record, we have students who are LET passers and RGCs. But they qualify for the psychologists boards because they also have Masters in psychology. Whenever in doubt, the IRR of RA10029 has the answers.

  23. John Torres says:

    Hi Sir Jason,

    I’m John and I graduated last April 2013 with a degree of BS in Clinical Psychology.My concern is in our curriculum there is no subject “Industrial Psychology” but I took a subject “Human Resource Development” is this HRD subject can be replaced for Industrial Psychology so I could take the board exam? or it is okay to take the exam without Industrial Psychology. Thank you.

    • Sir Jason says:

      Some students in 2014 were able to apply in PRC with the subject names different but were listed as co-equivalent with the 4 test subject. Your case is one of the accepted names to date.

  24. Rom Rovero says:

    Hi sir. Im a RN and planning to take masters in Psychology. Can I take the exam for psychometrician even I just have 21 units of BS but I also finish the masters degree?? or Should I have to finish AB/BS degree??

    • Sir Jason says:

      The Psychology Act of the Philippines requires a bachelor’s degree in psychology to be able to take the Psychometrician licensure exam, regardless of your postgrad degree. Without the bachelors degree in psychology, even the phd in psychology can not take the psychometrician exam according to the law.

  25. Mark De Guzman says:

    Can I take the board exam for psychologists even if my undergrad is not B.S. Psychology? But I have an M.A. in Psychology.

  26. Nancy Cruz de Farras says:

    Hi! I graduated BS Psych in 1992. I live in Spain now but it’s interesting to see how my course has evolved. I am an ESL teacher here. In RP, I was a teacher too with PRC license having taken MA in Preschool Ed. My question is, if I were to take the Board for Psychometrician, and granting I would pass it, do I need to be physically present for the oath taking? Rumor has it that you don’t get a license without going to the ceremony. And if my citizenship had changed to Spanish, will I have problems? Thank you!

    • Sir Jason says:

      If you become a citizen of Spain and granting it is not a Dual Citizen status then you are NOT allowed to become a licensed psychometrician/psychologists. You may consult PRC regarding your case for better legal opinion about this.

  27. Ann says:

    Good Day sir!

    I am currently taking AB Psychology via Distance Education, should I finish my bachelor’s degree am I qualified to take the board exam?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>